Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Doomsday Clock -- Help Turn it Back

The folks who keep the metaphorical "Doomsday Clock" recently moved the minute hand two minutes closer to midnight -- that is, the destruction of civilization. Now we've only got five minutes left. Seems that they've added global warming to our self-destruct mechanism, along with the growing nuclear threat.

When I read about this scary development, I immediately began thinking about what I'd do if I knew we really only had five minutes left to exist. I came up with a few -- and they involve sex and booze
and God.

But then I thought that I'd rather live...and it'd be better for me to take those five minutes and meditate every day.

I truly believe that if, every day, we meditate or pray or just sit still for five minutes (alright -- six, four, three, two...whatever), we could save the world.

To read how inner calmness can save the planet, and to check out what debauchery I'd engage in if a mushroom cloud was about to erupt, read my latest United Press International commentary.

Oh, and don't forget to give me your top five end-of-the-world activities!

Tick, tick, tick...

No comments: