Thursday, March 01, 2007

What to do With Words Award - March 2, 2007

Henry David Thoreau -- 19th-century abolitionist, poet, observer of nature, proponent of the moment.

He wins the "What to do With Words Award" today, March 2nd...for his diary entry for February 26, 1840. The observations for that day include a line of simple text, five words that speak of the quiet power of life transformations. They happen gradually, and so we are unaware they are taking place. I've said too much already.

His eloquent sentence:

"Corn grows in the night." - H.D.Thoreau

Henry is very generous about other people reading his diary, thanks to his publisher, Greg. Explore.

1 comment:

son rivers said...

Henry couldn't make it here tonight to accept this award. He's out somewhere. But I'm here to say a few words on his behalf. When I first read that entry for the 2/26, and the 2 paragraphs are the complte entry, I was struck of course by the first. An amazing statement about the truly great events wrapped in wonderful metaphor. So typically Henry. But the second parapgraph just iced the cake with its matter of fact 'truthiness' said in one simple sentence that proves the first beyond any doubt. And that's Henry to a T. Just when you're enamored with his knowledgable ways, he raps you with his simple wisdom. I hear the music playing so I know it's time for me to go. But before I do, let me again thank Awareness 101 for this wonderful award. Thanks to the 19th century. And to Concord. And to transcendentalism. And Emerson. And especially I know his thanks would go out to corn.